Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Panic Press and House of Horror are Kaput

In this here this moment and gone the next publishing world we live in, another horror publisher bites the dust. Editor, Sam E. Cox, the woman behind both Panic Press and House of Horror, has announced on a Facebook thread that, “…no more books will be going on to Amazon. Panic Press and HoH have gone into liquidation. I’m sorry but there’s nothing I can do, but everyone who has ordered from me will get their books…”

Sam was recently hospitalized for undisclosed health concerns. Upon her return, she faced a slew of technical problems. “I’ve had issues with both Paypal and Lulu,” she wrote on her Facebook wall, “and my e-mail was hacked. Basically what happened is I got into debt with Paypal spending more than what I had…”

It’s incredibly sad news for all of the supportive readers and the authors in the Panic Press and HoH family. Sam also states, “…of course I will be canceling all the books on Lulu and turning them over to the authors, but can’t until I’m done ordering and sending out books.”

Author and Rainstorm Press editor, Lyle Perez has offered to help. “If Sammi is willing,” he announced on Facebook, “I can take over the anthologies that never saw print and release them with my publishing company, Rainstorm Press. I’d hate to see these anthos not see print because of funding issues.”

Panic Press and House of Horror has been the catalyst for many newbie writers entering the publishing world and its absence will definitely leave a hole in our horror community. Sam has been a wonderfully gracious editor and friend. I wish her all the best.

As most of you know, my book, The Man of Shadows is part of the Panic Press line. I’m not sure what this means for its future availability, but I’m hoping it gets picked up by another publishing house. Only time will tell.

-Angel Zapata
8.23.11

7 comments:

  1. Damn. That's a bummer. The Man of Shadows will be resurrected so don't even think otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin. It's totally a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sad to hear this, Angel - for Sam, for you and the other authors.

    All the best for The Man of Shadows' future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel sad for Sam. She has a good heart.
    As for The Man of Shadows, why don't you self-pub it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, a pity for Sam, she's been tireless. As Laura said - self-pub MOS: it's already been through all the editing and so on. Keep it out there.
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so sorry to hear of a press going under and especially saddened to hear of your book. My kindle just broke, so perhaps next time Man of Shadows will be in print. ;-) (hint, hint). I have no doubt it will get picked up somewhere else. Your writing is so entertaining and horrific (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am laughing because Panic Press is dead and gone because she did nothing steal from my company. Quakes And Storms is a rip off anthology of my anthology published in 2005. She threatened to steal GAME OVER for her anthology too. So that is part of the reason I am glad the bitch is gone from the business. Maybe she can enjoy her new fame being a fan fiction writer exclusively. I am publishing some of the Panic Press refugees on the second namesake.
        I am not sad for her because of all the rookie mistakes she made in the business. I published rookies myself but I work with a lot of veteran publishers as writers. I am the publisher of publishers.

    ReplyDelete