Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday Reading Recommendation: Krystal Lambert at Doxa Literary Journal

Today’s recommendation is a departure from the often horrific, darker works I normally pimp. These particular poems explore one woman’s spirituality, spoken with a passionately, soothing persistence. This collection of nine poems by Krystal Lambert appears at Doxa: Nebraska Christian College's Undergraduate Literary Journal. From the opening lines of Pale Joy:

dear somber and sorrow
stop sleeping on my doorstep
stop sinking my heart

to the soulful pleas of her heartbreaking For Lovers:

breathe of beasts and baubles and beauty
wrap me in worth
torture me in tenderness
crown me in color
love me in lavender
that i might not find my heart in ashes

I was enamored with her honest and plainly-spoken prose. No matter what walk of faith you cling to, I believe a bit of her quiet divinity can offer something to ponder for days to come. Let’s face it, we can all benefit from a dose of optimism. I leave you with a passage from her thoughtfully stirring Temple of Bones:

Within my flesh
despite my filth
You place Your Spirit
among the wreckage.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's good writing. Will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete